THE ORIGINAL SURVEY MAP FOR GREEN BAY, WISCONSIN

 

$9,500

INQUIRE ABOUT THIS ITEM HOW TO ORDER

AUTHOR:

ELLIS, A. G.

TITLE:

Plat of Navarino Green Bay, Wisconsin Territory. 1836..., Daniel Whitney, Joshua Whitney, Henry Hamilton - Proprietors. A. E. Baker’s Lithogry. 8 Wall St. N. York, 1836

CONDITION:

17” x 23-1/2”. Printed on thin paper and folding into embossed green cloth covers. Some wear to folds, overall very good condition.

DATE:

1836

DESCRIPTION:

Very rare. This is the original survey for Green Bay, Wisconsin. The New England trader, Daniel Whitney, visited Green Bay as early as 1816, and quickly began to supply local residents with goods brought in by boat. In 1829 he purchased a tract of land at the confluence of the Fox and Devil or Manitou (East) Rivers from the heirs of Pierre Langevin, who had established himself in the area as early as 1763. The location opposite Fort Howard was advantageous for trade, and Whitney had the town laid out in 1836. He called it Navarino, in honor of the Greek seaport, site of the then recent battle for Greek independence. The map shows the town as it was originally laid out, extending from the Fox River east to present North Irwin Avenue, and from Walnut Street north to present Eastman Street. All the surveyed blocks are divided into numbered lots, with two public squares. On the opposite bank of the Fox River is Fort Howard, established in 1816, and finally abandoned in 1853. There is an inset in the upper left corner which shows the environs of Navarino. Immediately south of Navarino, John Jacob Astor’s agent, James Duane Doty, platted the village of Astor. The rival villages consolidated in 1839 into the Borough of Green Bay, whose core and later central business district occupied the site of the former Navarino. The village of Navarino is important in the history of Wisconsin. It was there that the first mercantile establishments in the Fox Valley were located. The first newspaper in the northwest, The Green Bay Intelligencer, began printing on the site in 1830. The only land office west of Detroit was located in Navarino, and every major industry of Territorial Wisconsin (fur trading, land speculation, lumbering, transportation and manufacturing) was centered or born there due to Daniel Whitney’s efforts.

REFERENCES:

Not in Decker, Eberstadt, Graff, Phillips, Maps, or Streeter Sale. OCLC locates just one copy (Newberry Library); an additional copy has been found in a private American collection.

Inventory No. 7624

Cohen & Taliaferro

*indicates required

Receive copies of our printed catalogs in the mail several times each year (U.S. residents only) and/or email updates to our on-line catalog every few weeks.

Cohen & Taliaferro LLC never sells, trades or gives away information from our mailing lists.

() -